Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Just one of those days

"To a life where I can't watch the sun set, I don't have time, I don't have time."

Well today started out as a weird one. First stop on my way to school was the post office. I guess I've never actually gone there before 9 am. I'm more the drive-over-and-drop-it-in-the-night-drop sort of person. But since I didn't do that last night, in fact I didn't leave the house at all yesterday, if you don't count taking out the trash, I stopped at the USPS on my way to class this morning.

The steel grill was down and I had a flash of unreality, wondering if today was a postal holiday. Isn't Flag Day in June? Of course it's Tuesday, not Monday, it just felt like Monday because when you don't leave the house all day, it feels like Sunday. Even crazier thoughts passed through my mind. Maybe this post office is closing. Maybe someone went postal and the grill is down because all the workers were taken out.

I opted to drop my packages in the drop box anyway. I live on the edge baby.

Then I thought about looking up the post office hours on my iphone, which is when I realized my iphone was still at home. I didn't have time to go back and get it because I still had to get gas. I was actually driving on no bars on the gas gauge. I could have sworn I had two bars the last time I drove, which I think was on Saturday. I hit the Shell station at 9 am and drove around the gas island to get a shady spot. I swiped my card, punched in my zip code and pushed the button that says 87. Nothing. Then a liquid crystal message, call card issuer.

I figured the pump was out of order so I drove around to another shaded pump. Same stuff, same day, call card issuer. Time was a-wasting, so at the third pump I tried a different card and guess what? Yup, call card issuer.

So I walked up to the little kiosk where a woman was saying something to the attendant about calling card issuer. I shoved a twenty past her and went back to pump three and started pumping, $19, $20, $21, $22 ... what the heck? Then the attendant came running out, holding out my twenty and saying, your card went through. Well, great, what about the other two pumps at which I had swiped my card? Attendant assures me those cards didn't go through. No time to worry about it, I had to high tail it to class.

My plan for the rest of day was to go grocery shopping on my way home. There were three things on my plan for the day, one, groceries, two, laundry and three, photographing and listing beads, which I am counting as one thing. I got one and a half things done and not quite in that order.

My conversation yesterday with Kandace about the baby and her emotional state was weighing on me, and I didn't like not having my phone, so after class I went straight home. When I got home I had a text on my cell with a picture of the baby and a message that she was feeling better. I called her anyway and she did seem better. Her dad is going up to see her tomorrow and her sister is going on Thursday. That will get us to the weekend when Jason will be home and I'm hoping his mom will come for a few days at the start of next week. Then maybe I will go back toward the end of next week. I think if we can get through the next couple of weeks things will get better. I hope they will get better.

I managed to kill the afternoon somehow. I didn't do laundry, I did take photos but I didn't get them uploaded to my computer. At 4 pm I made a grocery run which should have been quick and cost $30 but wasn't quick and cost $100. Because I can't buy honey without studying every damn brand. In every size and price range.

And I won't even get into the buy-five-items-and-get-$1-off-each-one exercise. I'll just say that we now have two boxes of club cracker and three packages of dark chocolate chocolate chip cookies and a whole lot of cereal because when I got to the cereal aisle, I found out that cereal was part of the deal. And I sure wasn't going to put any crackers or cookies back.

I think the heat did me in because I got home, got the groceries indoors, got the frozen pizzas and milk put away (forgot about the cheese), hauled the recycling bin in from the curb and I was just done. I made a beeline for the sofa, although if Neil hadn't gotten home early, I would have finished putting the groceries away.

Honestly, I would have.

"To a life where I can watch the sun set, and take my time. Take all my time." Dido

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz