Sunday, February 17, 2013

A blue bead mood

"Saying, welcome, welcome, share this feast, come in away from sorrow."

Today I got my bead soup in the mail! Heather, my exchange partner, apologized for being a little late, but I assured her that I never make anything until the last minute anyway.

I do spent much time pondering the possibilities and imagining how I can best showcase my bead soup ingredients. And in this case I have a lot to think about. Here are the beautiful jewelry components Heather sent, two photos of the "soup" and a closeup of the focal and clasps.



I'm so grateful that Heather wire-wrapped the focal, as she obviously has mad wire wrapping skills that I lack. And I just love the copper elements, especially the beautiful patina she used to finish them. I'll have a lot of fun playing with all the rest, the labradorite ovals, the pearl disks and all the little copper, sodalite, lapis, onyx, tourmaline and agate spacer beads.

Already I am starting to visualize a multi-strand necklace, or maybe three separate strands made to be worn together. I already know I want to use both clasps in the focal piece, one to each side, because they are much too pretty to use in the back. Perhaps a statement focal necklace and a long second accent necklace that can be worn doubled up.

So many options. Almost two months time to design and execute.

And now that she has seen it, here is the soup that I sent to Heather.



As you can see, we each chose a blue theme. I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with mine. I'm betting she'll wire wrap that focal and won't that be sweet? The little round pearl thing with blue stones around it is the clasp I sent and the topaz Swarovski crystal rounds are part of what I had left from the generous amount of swarkies I received from Margot Potter in the last bead soup blog party.

Frankly, I've been in a blue mood lately, and for once I'm not talking about my neurotransmitters. I've been making a lot of blue beads, including this set that you might call a blue study. I used different blues and blue violets for the base colors of each pair.



For some reason I like making stacked dot beads. I sell more focals and frit bead sets than dot beads, but sometimes you have to just make what you love. Maybe even most times. I'm still learning that though.

"Grateful for this sheltered place
With light in every window
Saying 'welcome, welcome, share this feast
Come in away from sorrow'
...
Grateful for what's understood
And all that is forgiven
We try so hard to be good
To lead a life worth living."
(Mary Chapin Carpenter)

1 comment:

  1. Im so glad you like your soup!! I find it crazy that we both went with a blue theme. I cant wait to see what you come up with! :)
    Ps.. Im sorry for the previous comment-my keyboard went nuts for a minute!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz