Friday, April 26, 2013

Please pass the bead soup

"Coloring the sunshine hours, they are the ladies of the canyon."

It's one minute after midnight EST on April 27, or it will be when I hit the publish button. Grab a bowl and a spoon because it's time for the third and last reveal of the 7th Bead Soup Blog Party. Beaders from around the world exchanged beads and now we are sharing the *vegetables* of our labor. (Well, you don't ordinarily put *fruits* in soup.)

First, credit to Lori Anderson, who hosts the party, matches up the exchange partners, listens to all the complaints about packages lost in the mail and no doubt a zillion other things, and pulls it off with grace and aplomb. No mean feat when you have participants in 28 countries on four continents. Here's a map she put together showing where we all are.



Second, thanks to my partner, Heather Otto, who lives in the Austin, Texas countryside and raises goats, sheep, llamas and yes, real vegetables. You can read more about the delicious soup she sent me if you wish, but I'll re-post pictures here.

The soup.



Closeup of the focal beautifully wire wrapped by Heather and two copper clasps handmade by Heather.



And I'm pretty sure if you're still reading, and all indications seem to be that you are, you probably want to see what I made with the beautiful beads she sent.

I made a suite of necklaces. They can be mixed and matched or worn alone. Here we go.

A group shot first, then some modeling.





For the short choker I used the white agate druks, mother of pearl coins and sodalite rondelles that Heather sent, with a round copper bead from my stash.

The longer choker uses Heather's laboradite ovals, lapis, onyx and copper rounds, plus copper spacers that I had on hand. It is finished with Heather's lovely clasp, which is meant to be worn to the side.

Then I have Heather's lovely pendant on a simple copper chain. I thought a lot about adding dangles or putting it on another necklace, but honestly, it stands out so well on its own and I know I will really enjoy wearing it this way. Or maybe I'll change my mind and add another strand of beads later.

I used some of the extra beads for a double-stranded bracelet. Of course Zamboni just had to photo bomb the shoot. That cat is bead obsessed. Can't imagine why. He's sitting on the back of my chair, watching me type right now.



I still had Heather's second clasp to use and I'm very proud of this one. I had the glass beads in my collection, just waiting for the right opportunity and this was it. Again, the clasp is mean to be worn to the side.



So I'm happy with my mix and match collection. And I didn't use even one of my lampwork beads. But who's to say I can't add another coordinating necklace later?

I'm looking forward to seeing what Heather made with my beads. Here's another shot of the bead soup I sent to her.



Please join in the hop and see the pretty creations made by the many talented artisans in this global blog party. You can find all the links posted at Pretty Things.

"Trina takes her paints and her threads
And she weaves a pattern all her own
Annie bakes her cakes and her breads
And she gathers flowers for her home
For her home she gathers flowers
And Estrella, dear companion
Colors up the sunshine hours
Pouring music down the canyon

Coloring the sunshine hours
They are the ladies of the canyon"

(Joni Mitchell)

38 comments:

JuLee said...

Your short necklace is wonderful... the clasp is perfect with those beads. And what a beautiful cat Zamboni is! What breed is he? Love the detail coloring around his nose and eyes.

Elizabeth Beads said...

Thanks JuLee. Zamboni is a cross between a lilac point DSH and a tabby, at least that's my guess, he is a rescue kitten. :)

Clayworks by Lisa Boucher said...

I can see why that would be a very fun necklace to wear. Love what you did with the focal Heather sent you. Very nice!

Cathie said...

Beautiful, all of it!

bailaora said...

great focal, perfectly used!congrats!

AWJewelry said...

Love it all! That focal is fab!

kathy stemke said...

Wonderful jewelry. You did a fantastic job with your soup. LOVE that focal too.
kathy

vintagesusie said...

So many beautiful pieces, your SOUP turned out AMAZING!!!

AllesPerle said...

Wow, I love the necklace with the blue center piece! So unique!

Just Beads said...

Love all your pieces. The wirework is amazing.

vovsblog said...

Beautiful work and great use of the materials!

Hippie Chick Jewelry & Design said...

Great pieces! I love that you can wear them all together for a layered look or separate for simple style.

Billi's Paper Batiks said...

I like the layers. What a beautiful soup. The wire work is great.

pinkchapeau said...

Lovely!! What a great idea to make the mix and match necklaces. She did indeed send a beautiful focal, and you did a great job with it.

Heather said...

I love what you did with the soup, Liz! The three necklaces are so fun-alone and grouped! And the bracelet is cute! What a fun swap, thank you again!

said...

I love the long necklace!
ciao dall'Italia

VasDea said...

Fab wirework really stunning focal on that necklace, love it.

Sandra Young said...

Beautiful colors and beautiful designs.

Donetta said...

OMG, you received the most wonderful things! I love all of your creations!

Donetta said...

What you received is...amazing! You made some lovely pieces from the beautiful beads and components from Heather (oooh, that pendant).

Donetta said...

OMG, you received the most wonderful things! I love all of your creations!

Barb Fernald said...

I love your idea of a suite of necklaces. They all compliment each other. And a bracelet to match! Very nice work.

Linda K. said...

Beautiful! I love that you made all the pieces to work together.

min said...

the focal clasp is so beautiful...!!! i especially love the side-clasp necklace.. gorgeous work!

Jeweled Inspirations said...

Stunning! I really like what you have done with the soup that you received. I love how the pieces all flow together. I like your assistant. Beautiful work.

P.S. I love the lampwork bead focal you sent Heather as well.

Becky Pancake said...

Very talented designs. Multi-function jewelry is way cool. I just made a suite(I love that word to describe it) of bracelets that clasp together in multiple ways so I understand the design challenges. Great job Elizabeth.

Kepi said...

Lovely, great designs

Christine said...

Lovely suite of necklaces

gelfling50 said...

Brilliant...Your designs are awesome....I was in first reveal and have had a blast seeing all the reveals. ty for sharing your creativity with us all...bye for now and Happy Beading
http://jaacquelinesjewels.blogspot.com/2013/03/bead-soup-blog-party-reveal-is-here.html

Peikkonen said...

Delicious piece... A kitty-cat, eeeeek!!!!!!!!!

(Love all your necklaces.)

BeadsByEarthTones said...

gorgeous designs and that focal, wow! i think you complimented it perfectly!

PiPa said...

You had an amazing focal and got the best out of your soup!

Pepita said...

That focal is really amazing and you've made a lovely set of necklaces. Good job!

Patricia Johnson said...

Wow what a great focal. I really like how you let it speak for itself. So cool that it goes well with your other pieces!

steufel said...

Love what you did with your soup - great job!

sam Waghorn said...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Nelly May said...

You put those necklaces together beautifully. They compliment the amazing focal perfectly. And now I am off to eye up and drool over your beads on etsy

CraftyHope said...

Your necklaces mix and match each other so well. Your soup turned out so great. They're pretty!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz