Friday, July 19, 2013

The bead hoarders blog hop

"You don't know you're beautiful. That's what makes you beautiful."

Today, Saturday (OK, tomorrow, since I'm posting this on Friday night) is the Bead Hoarders Blog Hop. What's a BHBH you ask? It's like the Bead Soup Party and Blog Hop. Without the Bead Soup. Instead of swapping beads with a partner and making something with the beads you get, you use the beads in your own stash.

Lori Anderson, who coordinates this shindig, says it best.
So what's this blog hop design challenge about? Well, I've noticed that I'm really, really good at collecting beads, but not so good at parting with them! I've amassed a scary number of beads that need to see the light of day. I have excuses -- lots of excuses. This one is too special, this set cost a lot more than I usually spend, this set needs just the right accent beads.

Enough excuses! It's time to play!

You use your own hoarded stash and make as many pieces as you like.
It sounds easy. I have a stash. I have intentions to use at least some of the beads in my stash before I die.

Long ago, I acknowledged that I'm a bead collector, more so than a jewelry maker. Long ago, I gave myself permission to just own my beads and released myself from the pressure to do anything with them, except maybe look at them, handle them, take them out and reorganize them. Beads are pretty, little gems of stone and glass. I get as much (if not more) joy from simply having them as I do from making things with them and wearing them.

I do like to work with my hands and sometimes I string something just to be doing it. Lately I've been taking apart things I made when I was starting out and remaking them with improved materials, better design ideas and sharper skills.

To the extent that all beads I own are part of my stash, I did use beads from my stash for these pieces.


The idea for the rainbow piece I stole shamelessly from a three-strand piece by talented designer Laura Bracken that she posted on Facebook. It tickles me and I plan to wear the heck out of it, starting tomorrow at a Beads of Courage work day at Glass Sorbet.

The piece with the turquoise green beads is a restring of one I made and liked but saw room for improvement. And because I love love love the beads, I remade it with a new focal and accent beads.

The floral is a restring of a very early piece I made and although I loved the original focal, the flower bead felt more right with the coral beads, and I added the copper hardware.

So that's about it. I could take more photos of recent pieces, but honestly, I'm a bead maker, not a bead jewelry maker. It's fun to dabble, but I'm hoping to have new beads to show soon and I'm testing 3 new frit blends, Heirloom Roses, Kalahari and Beachcomber, shooting for an August 1 release.

I'm sure there will be some absolutely stunning eye candy made by the other 166 participants in this Blog Hop and you can find the links to their blogs at Pretty Things.

"Baby you light up my world like nobody else
The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed
But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell
You don't know
Oh oh
You don't know you're beautiful
If only you saw what I can see
You'll understand why I want you so desperately
Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe
You don't know
Oh oh
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh

That's what makes you beautiful."
[One Direction, What Makes You Beautiful]

17 comments:

Cece Cormier said...

Like the combo and that light green necklace.

Laren Dee Barton said...

Fun and pretty designs, thank you for sharing with us!!

Laren :)

Donetta said...

Anyone would have fun wearing your bright, beautiful creations!

paula hisel said...

love your pieces and your use of color

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

I think I may be inspired to start calling myself a bead collector, too, Elizabeth! Your creations are luscious, especially the red one (hello, does it know it is beautiful?)

Hannah Trost said...

your red necklace above was a real favorite for me - I have a hard time working with warm colors and so maybe I really love good designs with them!

WindDancerStudios said...

My younger daughter loves One Direction, last summer I heard every video and song they had to date multiple times. Love the rainbow!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

The lampwork focal bead on your second (middle) piece is luscious!

Marlene Cupo said...

The turquoise one is my favorite, but thats cause I LOVE turquoise, but also am drawn to the red one. One thing for sure, will be visiting your Etsy shop. Need to hoard more lampwork beads!

Kim said...

Love your pieces, the colors are beautiful (and so are the beads)!

Audrey BĂ©langer said...

Love them all, but the rainbow is pulling at my heartstrings !

Ilenia said...

It' s all so beautiful!
Well done!
^_^

adlinah said...

Love the turquoise necklace! And you're just as much a bead jewellery maker as you are a bead maker/artist - so there!

Becky Pancake said...

Great designs Elizabeth. The middle necklace is my favorite.

CraftyHope said...

I really like that you made a rainbow colored necklace, but that turquoise one really is my favorite. It's eye-catching and really beautiful. Wonderful!

anafiassa said...

I simply love your rainbow necklace... just beautiful! All of your pieces are lovely--thank you for sharing!

Hippie Chick Jewelry & Design said...

All lovely designs! I really the green necklace but I'm partial to greens. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz