Sunday, August 25, 2013

A week without Facebook

"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."

Another school of fish swam out of my kiln. I've made about 40 so far, no sign of stopping.



I haven't listed any for sale yet, but I've already sold the bottom center one to a "friend of a friend" on Facebook.

I shy away from doing a lot of selling on my Facebook personal page. I do post new Etsy listings and treasuries on my Facebook business page. If you lose the link to my business page, it's easy to remember: www.facebook.com/LampworkGlass. Yep, I got LampworkGlass.

Ironically, I just figured out that if you search Facebook for Elizabeth Beads you will find a bead artisan named Elizabeth who lives in Osogbo, Nigeria, and calls Arigidi, Ondo, Nigeria her hometown. A web search turned up no additional information about this ostensible meme, so I did the obvious, sent her a friend request.

In the meantime, I just changed my personal facebook page name to elizabethbeads.lampworkglass (because both elizabethbeads and elizabeth.beads were unavailable. At least it ties to my business page. I thought about just changing it to lampworkaholic. But, no. It's a one-time change, so there I am.

In case you are wondering (and why wouldn't you be), I missed the Summer Color Surprise blog hop reveal. For one thing, I've been without Internet access for almost a week. Yellowstone Park seriously has no hot spots. Well, in the wireless sense. I got email on my cell phone sporadically and that was it. Neil paid for 24 hours of service, in an attempt to download his work email, and even that proved impossible because the connection was so slow.

The other (real) reason I missed the blog hop reveal is that I simply could not get inspired to make anything from the kit I received. I could not come up with even one worthy idea from my green bead mix. I did use some of the small beads here and there in my rainbow necklaces, but I just could not make the beads I got work together. Here is a look.


OK, so I missed the deadline, but I still have the beads, and looking at the creative pieces the other blog hoppers made from their kits, I think I am going to give it a go and just. make. something. I'll post back here when I do.

In the meantime, back in May of 2001, Marty saw my profile on Match and wrote to me.
Hello ... lizbusa? Why do I think your name is Liz? :-) Well, mine is Marty, and I was very attracted by your profile - by lots about it, really, such as your lifestyle, philosophy, liberal inclinations and, especially, your wish for a range of experiences. It all resonates beautifully for me.
You might say he was a good writer. As he later reminded me.

His profile was enticing.
No, life isn't a Hollywood production, but if you're a romantic soul and love to laugh, dance, listen to music, cuddle around the house, take off for the occasional adventure and feel the love of a warm, caring and sensitive man ... it can be close to idyllic.
There was more.
I am a warm and caring man with a passionate and sensitive heart, given to rash acts of romance and weeping quietly during movies and moving musical performances - but I also have a killer sense of humor.
Lots more.
Gee - what kind of woman appeals to me? Let's see... Venus, with both arms, a new dress, a new 'do and a college education? That could work ...
Believe it or not, I've condensed this considerably.
There are so many qualities that are hard to objectify! I do believe there is chemistry and magic in a great relationship, beyond even the best writer's capability to describe.
It gets even better.
For now, though, I'm just interested in making friends in my new community - after all, real friendship is the best basis for love and relationships.
I was not proof against one single word of it.

I wrote back.
I'm not far off the mark of being "what you're looking for," having both arms, a college degree, hair and a new dress (at any given time).
And we were off to the races.


"Crimson flames tied through my ears
Rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads
Using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon," said I
Proud 'neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

A self-ordained professor's tongue
Too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty
Is just equality in school
"Equality," I spoke the word
As if a wedding vow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now."

(Bob Dylan, My Back Pages)

1 comment:

  1. Your "folk-fish" beads are just too cool for school! I love them!

    Interesting mix -- I'll check back to see how the muse may inspire you. I had a few types of beads here and a couple there and then finally fourteen there that I worked into designs I was happy to create & complete :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz