Thursday, March 20, 2014

A watched pot boils eventually

"And when you feel like this try to imagine that we're all like frail boats on the sea."

It's time for the eighth - and possibly the last - Bead Soup bead exchange and blog hop.

Bead Soup is orchestrated by Lori Anderson who writes a blog called Pretty Things and also the blog for the Bead Soup Blog Party.

This will be my third year as a participant.



My first partner was Margot Potter of The Impatient Crafter and DIY [Do it Yourself] Doyenne fame

Read about my first souploits here.

Last year my partner was Heather Otto, practically my neighbor, living on a farm near Austin Texas. Heather writes a blog called The Crafthopper.

See what I did with my second bead soup here.

My partner this year is Deborah Apodaca and you can read more about her and see the soup she sent me below.

Organizing the Bead Soup exchange is a gargantuan task. This year the blog party includes 490 bead lovers and spans 4 continents, 30 countries and 48 states. Participants have to be paired up, taking into consideration those who only use seed beads, those who won't or will ship internationally, and not pairing up previous partners. Sadly, Lori has been struggling with some serious health issues for the past few years and she recently made this announcement.
I care for you all, and it's important to me that you have a good time with this party. I believe it will be the last one for a while. I have ideas to keep the Soup tradition alive, but without swapping next year. It's a monumental task to do pairings anymore, so we'll take a break and do fun, related hops from your own stash.
Swapping and getting to know your partner is a big part of the fun of Bead Soup and I'll miss it. That said, I completely understand Lori's decision. So I'm planning to enjoy the heck out of this year's party.

My partner is Deborah Apodaca of Deborah Apodaca Designs and she writes a blog called, naturally, Deborah Apodaca Designs.

Deborah is a self-described "Carolina girl" who lives in Port Lucie, Florida, which happens to be the spring training home of the New York Mets. She and I found a lot of common ground in our career paths and creative challenges, but the funniest part is this. She mentioned that her husband "Bob" is a professional baseball coach. Bob Apodaca. Bob Apodaca. It sounded so familiar.

So I turned to my resident baseball trivia expert and asked Neil if he knew a pro baseball coach named Bob Apodaca. He did. In fact he knew a lot about him, including the fact that he pitched for the Mets for about five years in the 1970s. I might even have seen him pitch, since I lived a bike ride away from Shea Stadium and went to many, many ballgames with my dad. Neil also knew that he followed Mel Stottlemyre, Neil's idol, as Mets pitching coach in the 1990s.

OK, Bead Soup. Deb sent me some lovely bead ingredients. They came in this adorable box.



Deborah wrote me this very cute note.



First there were two sizes of these coin beads, made of some kind of brown stone. I love them. They are the color of my favorite food group, coffee.



Next, there were some beautiful green glass coin beads with iridescent silvery dots. These are top and front drilled, so I'm going to have to think (hard) about the best way (some way) to use them. There was also a handful of sweet little brown shell beads.



And the best for last. Deborah sent me a fantastic sterling silver clasp and a delightful little green cinnabar fish focal.



I'm very happy with my soup. I have some ideas already. Technically I only have to use the focal and clasp, and not necessarily in the same piece, but I always try to use most of my bead soup beads. I will mix in some beads from my own hoard and I'll probably try to match that pretty green fish with some of my handmade glass beads. Fun!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use the focal and clasp in an asymmetrical necklace, maybe with the little shells, and then do something special with the other beads.

Of course since the reveal date and blog hop aren't until May 3, I have weeks to go before I have to do anything but imagine the possibilities. It would be sad, really, to finish something now and not be able to show it.

Now, here is the soup I sent to Deborah. You'll notice we picked a common theme color and the same style of clasp, although the ones I sent are copper.



Read Deborah's post about me and my beads here.

And please mark your calendars now and come back for the blog hop party on May 3. Think about it. 490 blogs full of artisan bead creations. That's some hot soup you won't want to miss.


I can tell by the way you're walking
That you don't want company
I'll let you alone and I'll let you walk on
And in your own good time you'll be

Back where the sun can find you
Under the wise wishing tree
And with all of them made we'll lie under the shade
And call it a jubilee

I can tell by the way you're talking
That the past isn't letting you go
But there's only so long you can take it all on
Then the wrong's gotta be on its own

And when you're ready to leave it behind you
You'll look back and all that you'll see
Is the wreckage and rust that you left in the dust
On your way to the jubilee

I can tell by the way you're listening
That you're still expecting to hear
Your name being called like a summons to all
Who have failed to account for their doubts and their fears

They can't add up to much without you
And so if it were just up to me
I'd take hold of your hand, saying come hear the band
Play your song at the jubilee

I can tell by the way you're searching
For something you can't even name
That you haven't been able to come to the table
Simply glad that you came

And when you feel like this try to imagine
That we're all like frail boats on the sea
Just scanning the night for that great guiding light
Announcing the jubilee

And I can tell by the way you're standing
With your eyes filling with tears
That it's habit alone keeps you turning for home
Even though your home is right here

Where the people who love you are gathered
Under the wise wishing tree
May we all be considered then straight on delivered
Down to the jubilee

'Cause the people who love you are waiting
And they'll wait just as long as need be
When we look back and say those were halcyon days
We're talking 'bout jubilee

(Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jubilee)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz