Friday, May 9, 2014

Call me Adrenaline Girl

"My fire won't quell and I'll be harm-free and distress-less. Trust me."

I am Adrenaline Girl.

Apparently I don't need sleep any more. Nor much food either. I'm running on adrenaline and caffeine.

OK, I exaggerate. I sleep at least four or five hours, if you add up all the time I'm not awake every night. And I almost always have cereal with almond milk, yogurt and fig bars, something or other for dinner, and some cookies. And I drink watered down fruit juice when I walk my three 20-minute miles on the treadmill. But it's adrenaline that's juicing my brain and keeping me sleepless.

Today is a special day or will be if you read this tomorrow. Did that make sense? Let's try again. May 10 is a special day. It's the Bead Soup Blog Party hosted by the indomitable Lori Anderson at Pretty Things. Should you choose, you may visit the blogs of all the particpants to see what lovely creations they have cooked up from their bead swap beads. (A linked list is at the end of Lori's post.)

My partner is Deborah Apodaca. I'm looking forward to seeing what she's done with the soup I sent her. As I type this, I have one completed necklace and I'm getting ready to finish another necklace, because frankly, I'm rubbish at making anything else, like bracelets or earrings. By the time I post this the second necklace will be done. We are having fun.

A quick look at my bead soup once more before the reveal photos.




For the first piece, I used both the fish focal and the silver clasp. I knew I wanted to make something asymmetrical. I learned that it is harder than you think to balance an asymmetrical piece, but I did it after much tweaking. I also wanted the necklace to be long, long enough to go over my head without having to undo the clasp.

I added 5 of my small lampwork spacers in peacock green, a variety of Czech glass beads and some sterling silver daisies. I love how it turned out and I so will wear it. I'm working with greens more lately too and getting a lot more comfy with the color.




Bathroom mirror selfies with my old Sony point-and-shoot. Guilty as charged.

For my second piece, I used the brown stone coin beads and the little shell beads. The resident geologist wasn't certain what stone the brown beads are, the most likely guess is chocolate jasper. I had a small focal with complementary colors and I added some peach colored rounds from my stash and used shiny pink copper findings and, for something different, a coordinating silk ribbon to finish it. It's a fun piece I think.


I thought I picked out a coordinating ribbon. Chocolate brown, I thought, but suddenly I see all these mauves and plums. Yet somehow it works. That's my story. It works because I say it works.


After months of contemplation, I still could not visualize a way to use the pretty green top-front-drilled disks. Into my stash they will go, and perhaps the light bulb will illuminate one day and I'll know the perfect way to use them.

All right then.

Adrenaline girl has suddenly become a small rage on Facebook, selling beads like a nut (for a change) on two pages, Lampwork Beads For Sale and Lampwork Bead Market. Please come and join us if you care to. You will have to send a request to join, but one of several thousand members will approve you in no time flat.

I'm not sure if this is bad or good, but as I've been selling my beads, my bead collection also has grown, and I've been thrilled and lucky to add beads from artists I've long admired, as well as new artists whose work I've just first seen. But while buying and selling is fun, there are other things that I find appealing about these sites. Here is a comment I posted.
What I'm enjoying here is the interaction. Etsy and eBay can be so impersonal. Here my customers suddenly have faces and personalities. Life as a lampwork artist can be isolating. I love being able to take a break, come here, look at the pretty beads and comment on them. And of course I love the comments I get. Comments make me feel as good as bids do. Well, almost.
At first I was letting it get me down when there were days my beads drew no attention. I'm not sure if I've actually put it into perspective, or if I'm just appeased because sales have improved for me. Here is another comment I posted.
As a seller and a buyer, I'm fascinated by what sells, what doesn't, what gets bid up, what doesn't. I've seen phenomenal beads go for a song, and I've seen some very ordinary beads go for big dollars. At first I was upset if my bead/s didn't sell, but now I've got it in perspective. They just weren't what someone was looking for that day. But it does warm my heart when someone comments BIN [Buy-it-Now].
Certainly, one of the postitive things to come out of this is a resurgence of motivation and creativity for me. So, now that my classes are finished for the semester, my circle of life will be more bead making, followed by the bead cleaning and sorting and stringing and photographing and listing and wrapping and shipping.

And it's back to British Crime Drama on the treadmill, beginning with the series Vera. I'm not quite done with Morse yet, but I'll work the last shows in somewhere. And now that DCI Banks is back with Series 3, I want to re-watch Series 1 and 2 with Neil. Just have to figure out how to pull up Idaho Public Television on our "smart" TV. (If only we were half as smart about learning how to use it.)

I want to do a wrap up on both my classes and there are a couple of good stories ahead, including the X-rated pig beads, and how I managed to run not one but two stop signs in front of Sugar Land's finest hard-ass copper.

But first I need to do some blog hopping.


"Deadlines and meetings and contracts all breached
D-days and structure
Responsibility

Have-tos and need-tos and get-tos by three
Eleventh hours and upset employees

I want to be naked, running through the streets
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you'd think I dare not be
I want to be weightless, flying through the air
I want to drop all these limitations at the shoes upon my feet

Heartburn and headaches and soon-to-be ulcers
Compulsive yearnings non-stop to please others

All won't be lost if I'm governed by my own innateness
Stoplights won't work, I'll get home sound and safe regardless
Won't be mayhem if I'm ruled by my own rulelessness
My fire won't quell and I'll be harm-free and distress-less
Trust me

Line towing and helping, expectations up to living
Inside box, obeying, inside line, coloring

I want to be naked, running through the streets
I want to invite this so called chaos that you'd think I dare not be
I want to be weightless, flying through the air
I want to drop all these limitations and return to what I was born to be."

(Alanis Morissette)

27 comments:

Deborah Apodaca said...

I love how your soup turned out!!!! The necklaces are beautiful and I am so glad you were able to find inspiration in the beads I sent to you. I look forward to seeing what you can do with the green discs in the future!!! Hopefully, you will like what I have been able to do with my ingredients!!! Love, Deborah

sam Waghorn said...

Love what you made with your soup, the fish necklace is wonderful.

Sheila Davis said...

Very pretty Elizabeth!

Coloraddiction said...

Gorgeous!!! Love the bathroom selfies. :)

Tammy Adams said...

Really fun designs. And I am lovin' the bathroom selfies. :)

Rachel said...

The necklace with the fish focal is so fun! I'm glad you showed it being worn!

Andrea said...

So pretty! Great job!

Chris said...

Love the fish piece! And as for the selfies, you gotta do what you gotta do. They worked well for this. Nice soup!

vovsblog said...

Such lovely work well done!

Karen Mitchell said...

Yay, for selfies! I'm going to go out on a limb and say I love the second necklace the most. The ribbon ties all the colours in the focal together, and I love longer necklaces anyway.

roomforchange said...

Love the fish necklace, the a-symetrical really works!

Kumi Fisher said...

Two beautiful necklaces! I love how you off set the fish focal!

kathy stemke said...

Beautiful jewelry. Fun designs.

Kepi said...

That fish focal necklace is so pretty, just beautiful. Both your necklaces are lovely.

bailaora said...

absolutely great fish neckkace!

PyxeeStyx said...

Your carved fish focal is very cool, and I like how you used it on the side. The plum ribbon does work because it pulls the purple out of the lampwork focal. I too am a huge fan of the new lampwork groups. I can't afford to shop right now, but I stop by to drool most days, and comment, a lot. :)

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Lovely designs, Elizabeth... I especially love your daring purple silk!

Sarah said...

Oh, wow. I'd love to wear either of those necklaces.

Just Beads said...

Beauiful necklaces you made. I love the way you mixed up your own lampwork beads with the soup. So nice!

Karin said...

Lovely work! You have a great lampwork talent, and it shows in the pieces you made with your soup.

PiPa said...

Love th evariery of colors, shapes and materials in your pieces!

Veralynne Malone said...

Great soup. Love your fish and the necklace with it. And the ribbon really works with the beads. Excellent job!

veradesigns.blogspot.com

Bev said...

Love the fish soup! Very nice pieces! Like how you added the ribbon too. Great job!

barbarasfernald.com said...

Love the asymmetrical necklace with the focal right near the clasp. You did a really nice job with your soup! I'm excited to check out your lampwork beads.

Terri said...

Really Soup-er! Yep I'm still hopping! Don't want to miss a thing!

bairozan said...

I like both necklaces - the asymmetrical with that gorgeous focal and those beautiful greens and complementing colors but I also like the second necklace probably because of the orange pop and the color of the silk ribbon :)

Janice said...

Your green spacers really complement the fish focal. I loved that focal at first sight. Well done.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz