Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Digging bead swaps

"And then the snow came, we were always out shovelling 
And we'd drop to sleep exhausted 
And we'd wake up and it's snowing."

Let's dig right in!

Into the bead soup, I mean, not the snow. Because there is no snow in Texas. Hell, we had the air conditioning on today. Good thing we are leaving. (There has to be one good thing about leaving, right?)

Here is the lovely bowl of beads sent to me by my Bead Soup Blog Party partner, Andra Weber.



The agate chunk bead was hoarded by Andra for nine years! And since this is the Bead Hoarders Edition of the blog hop, she decided to part with it and give it to me. The one rule of this bead exchange was to give one bead that was special. As Lori McDaniel Anderson, blog party coordinator extraordinaire said:
I would like to start 2017 by opening our hearts to hope and beauty and true gift-giving. I don't want people to send just anything, but something they love and would imagine brightening the day of someone.
In addition to the agate, Andra sent me the fossilized pendant, mahogany obsidian rounds, zebra jasper nuggets and a mix of carnelian beads. Giving extra beads was optional but I think it's part of the fun and it seems so did Andra.

And as if that wasn't enough, she sent a lovely card, a packet of pretty post-its, some Burt's Bees goodies and a generous sampler of metal dangles. Andra explained that the dangles were given to her by a friend whose late husband made dream catchers with them.



It's funny, Lori has shared that every year she fields a slew of complaints from people who aren't happy with what they got, people who were miffed because they felt that the beads they sent were more worthy than the beads they received. And then there are people who sign up and then never send beads to their partners, even after getting beads frm them.

I wonder how many people feel the opposite, i.e., they get their beads and wish they'd sent more beads or better beads than they did. I've been lucky to have had some great, very generous partners. And I've always tried to send a really good mix of beads because God knows, I have a few lying around, not paying rent.

That said, it's still always a little hard to part with things I love, but that is exactly the point. If it doesn't hurt just a little bit to let the beads I give go, then I'm probably not digging deeply enough. So I dig a little deeper. And luckily, once I pack them up and send them off, I've had nary a regret.

Come back on March 25 for the "big reveal." You'll see what I make with the beads Andra gave me. As usual, I'll ponder it until the eleventh hour and stay up late the night before putting it together and writing my reveal post. And if you are interested, you can browse the reveals of Andra and another 150 or so dedicated beaders and blog-partiers.

If you are wondering what I sent Andra, wonder no more. I took photos.



My lampwork beads of course, some coordinating Czech crystals, some stone beads that matched perfectly, and some complementary seed beads just for fun. I didn't take pictures of the chocolate bon-bons I put in the package - maybe Andra will.

I'm looking forward to seeing what magic she makes with them.

This may be the shortest post I've ever written, but I gave myself a February deadline and you know, here we are, there.

You can read my past Bead Soup Blog Party reveal posts here and here and here.


I threw your keys in the water, I looked back
They'd frozen halfway down in the ice
They froze up so quickly, the keys and their owners
Even after the anger, it all turned silent and
Every day turned solitary
So we came to February

First we forgot where we planted those bulbs last year
And then we forgot that we'd planted at all
Then we forgot what plants are altogether
And I blamed you for my freezing and forgetting and
The nights were long and cold and scary
Can we live through February?

You know I think Christmas was a long red glare
Shot up like a warning, we gave presents without cards
And then the snow
And then the snow came, we were always out shovelling
And we'd drop to sleep exhausted
And we'd wake up and it's snowing

And February was so long that it lasted into March
And found us walking a path alone together
You stopped and pointed and you said, that's a crocus
And I said, what's a crocus, and you said, it's a flower
I tried to remember but I said, what's a flower
You said, I still love you

The leaves were turning as we drove to the hardware store
My new lover made me keys to the house
And when we got home, well we just started chopping wood
Because you never know how next year will be
And we'll gather all our arms can carry
I have lost to February.


(Dar Williams)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz