Saturday, March 25, 2017

All (or at least some) is revealed

"And then I open up and see
The person falling here is me
A different way to be."


Today (March 25 for those in different time zones) is reveal day for the Bead Soup Blog Party - Bead Hoarders Edition. The Blog Party is the brainchild of Lori Anderson of Bead Soup Cafe and the blog Pretty Things, where you will find a linked list of all the participants. Should you be interested in seeing lots of eye candy, please visit the linked blogs and Pinterest boards.

This time I finished two pieces, using a mix of beads from the two soups my partner, Andra Weber, sent me, plus some from my own stash. Andra sent me two soups - see them here and here - and I loved both of them, especially the focals. The theme of the swap was to send a focal bead that you'd personally loved and hoarded. Sending additional beads was optional but always adds to the fun

I still have a lot of beads left to play with, enough for several more pieces, and a lot of good intentions to go with them. I'd say that two days of jury service this week put me behind but, face it, I would have found other excuses, I mean reasons, to run out of time. The best reason is the truest one. Jewelry design takes both time and inspiration. Time is never unlimited and inspiration, well, as I may have mentioned, that muse of mine is a flibbertigibbet.

Actually putting a piece together takes the smallest amount of time, compared to thinking about it, planning it, laying it out, deciding you hate it, starting over, thinking, planning, hunting through your own stash for those perfect beads you think you remember having, maybe finding them, maybe not, maybe finding something else you'd forgotten that suddenly demands attention. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and make the piece and hope you stick the landing.

I have pieces I've taken apart and remade as many as five times over a period of time. Since I make my own lampwork beads, I've been known to wear a piece for a while, then take it apart and sell the lampwork. I have other pieces that date back to the beginning of time, by which I mean time since I first learned to make jewelry with beads.

My first piece to show was made with the focal bead from my first soup, the bronze daggers and cranberry crystals from my second soup, some round pink Czech glass beads that came from my own stash, plus a clasp I liberated from another necklace. The piece almost made itself. I knew right away how I wanted to use the focal. It's simple, easy to wear and pretty I think.


My second piece uses the focal and matching pair from my second soup, as well as the green crystals and pink opalite from my second soup. I already had the peachy agate rounds, AB cubes and wine seed bead spacers. And the clasp came from my first bead soup exchange. Yes, I took apart one of the pieces from that swap. My skills have evolved since that time and I wanted to use the pretty clasp in something more worthy.


This piece was harder for me becasue I could visualize so many different ways to play the focal. I'm happy with the way it all came together.

And at the eleventh hour, I decided to make one more quick piece, a bracelet using the carnelian nuggets from Andra and some random beads from my stash.



Every now and then that muse steps up to the plate and pulls a long ball.


Oh, my life
Is changing every day
In every possible way

And oh, my dreams
It's never quite as it seems
Never quite as it seems

I know I've felt like this before
But now I'm feeling it even more
Because it came from you

And then I open up and see
The person falling here is me
A different way to be

I want more
Impossible to ignore
Impossible to ignore

And they'll come true
Impossible not to do
Impossible not to do

And now I tell you openly
You have my heart so don't hurt me
You're what I couldn't find

A totally amazing mind
So understanding and so kind
You're everything to me

Oh, my life
Is changing every day
In every possible way

And oh, my dreams
It's never quite as it seems
'Cause you're a dream to me
Dream to me.


(Dolores O'Riordan and Noel Hogan)

47 comments:

Tracy said...

Your designs are lovely - the first piece with the pink opalite beads are so calming, I expect this will be a joy to wear.

Lorelei Eurto said...

Beautiful poem and gorgeous finished pieces! I loved the pendants in both necklaces!

Cj Bauschka said...

Hi there,Your pieces are so rich and natural, with such an earthy feel. I love the second picture, with all the colors. Very beautiful!!!

AWJewelry said...

lovely

Joyce Becker said...

WOW, 2 soups lucky you. Your pieces are outstanding. I love the use of color in both of them. You description of how you came to make them made me smile (I go through similar thought processes). It was all worth it - great job.

Sarah said...

Oh, wow! I love that second necklace and the way you've worked the different textures together.

Tanya said...

Those are both just gorgeous. I love the all colors in the second soup and the daggers in the first necklace. Both compliment the design so well. I know what you mean about the time it takes to plan compared to the actual doing. I generally take mine apart four or five times before I have a finished product.

Audrey BĂ©langer said...

I love the pieces you've made, as well as that song / poem. So beautiful and ispiring.

Marianna said...

beautiful bead work! I love the color combos you used! Great job making the focals pop but complimenting them with the bead work!

windbent said...

I got a second package too! Aargh--the agony and the ecstasy. I think you did a great job of highlighting the focals. I hope you are having fun and good luck on the construction.

laurie said...

Love how you used all the colors. Great pieces!

bailaora said...

All creations are so feminine, delicate and elegant! My fav is the second necklace! Good job!

elisabeth said...

Beautiful colorful pieces!

Leanne said...

Such beautiful & colorful necklaces!

Becky Pancake said...

Hi Elizabeth, The first necklace is really pretty. It is my favorite of your designs.

Barb Fernald said...

Wow! Great work with the necklaces. The beads you chose to go with those (challenging) focals are perfect.

Ann Marie Hodrick said...

Well done! Lovely pieces! I especially like your eleventh hour bracelet :)

Lori Anderson said...

You said:

Actually putting a piece together takes the smallest amount of time, compared to thinking about it, planning it, laying it out, deciding you hate it, starting over, thinking, planning, hunting through your own stash for those perfect beads you think you remember having, maybe finding them, maybe not, maybe finding something else you'd forgotten that suddenly demands attention. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and make the piece and hope you stick the landing."

And that is soooooo true!

I love both soups, and really, really like how you worked with the gemstone pendant. I'm so used to working with lampwork that I forget I have an enormous cache of gemstones dying to be used.

You did an awesome job and I'm really glad you participated!

Ann Schroeder said...

Your necklaces and bracelet are beautiful. I love the colors, especially in that second necklace.

Robin Reed said...

I really Really REALLY Love both of your necklaces!! Great job on them and that wonderful bracelet!!! I love drama in stones even when it is muted! These focals really sing with the way you designed them! Great Job!!! Be Blessed!

Leslie S. said...

Everything you made is gorgeous!

Kelly said...

Oh my. Lovely all around, but your first necklace is truly special. The focal resembles petrified wood like you'd see in Petrified Forest National Park. With both necklaces, you chose perfect beads to compliment the pendants. Great use of color.

Leslie S. said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Very clever use of the bead soup. I think the three little pieces in the design of the first piece is great.

Marianne Baxter said...

Drooling over the lampwork beads and how you put that necklace all together. Great job

Liz said...

Lovely pieces! I too am never quite satisfied and tend to disassemble my work.

Dorothy Supri said...

Lovely pieces, I especially like the colors in the second piece!

Andra said...

Liz, You did a fantastic job with both soups. On one of our e-mails you said that you are better bead maker and writerthan designer, I think you underestimated yourself! The necklaces are beautiful. I love how you combined the two soups. I hope to see future creations!

Shaiha said...

Beautiful necklaces! Just love your touch with color.

pinkchapeau said...

I love everything you made. Both necklaces are lovely, and I have a real fondness for memory wire bracelets, so I really love that one. Great job!!

Sherri Stokey said...

I love all the colors you worked together in that second necklace - it looks like a piece you could wear over and over!

Lucy Clasen said...

Lovely jewelry designs. Your use of color is outstanding in both designs. I love the mixture of colors in the second piece and you have just taught me to think outside the box and combine more colors in some of my future designs. Thanks for the lesson!

joannetinks said...

Wonderfully made and written lovely

Kathy Lindemer said...

I especially like the bracelet. The carnelian nuggets are gorgeous and carnelian is a favorite of mine. Lovely work on the necklaces also.

ChristinaMarieH said...

Beautiful designs!

Susanm said...

Love the colour combinations in your designs. You've done a great job of using natural materials.

Dyanne Cantrell said...

I love your soup and your creations. Beautiful job!

Melissa said...

Lovely pieces -- you really pulled out the pendant colours in the second necklace, beautiful!

BluMoon said...

What pretty necklaces and that is such a colourful bracelet nice work!

Robin Showstack said...

Everything is lovely, but I like the second necklace best.

Pepita said...

Hi,
Beautiful pieces! I like very much the color combinations and the beads you used.
Alenka

Christine said...

Your designs are beautiful!

Rachel Mallis said...

I really really like the whimsy in that second necklace. You drew so much color inspiration from the focal, and it is just a lovely necklace!

Veralynne Malone said...

Wow such beautiful pieces...but the second one really calls to me! Great job!

BTW..did you know you have a lion's face in your mountain???

Ann Marie Hodrick said...

I love your second necklace! The way you mixed all the different shapes, colors and textures is so beautiful :)

Dorrie W. said...

Beautiful!

Renetha Stanziano said...

I often find it difficult to work with stone pendants, but you definitely made it work. Both pieces are wonderful.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz