Thursday, June 15, 2017

Low-biorhythmic cycling

"You do your best to keep your hand in play
And try to keep those lonesome blues at bay
You think you're winning but it's hard to say, sometimes."

In general, I am a lucky person.

I've had my struggles, sure. I've lost at love, but I've also broken hearts, not that I intended to, or that I'm proud of it.

My first marriage failed (or I failed or we failed), but I have two amazing daughters because of it.

My parents are gone, but they lived long lives, my dad's just three weeks shy of 90 year, my mom's 90 years and a few months.

I've done time on the ocean floor, thanks to a lover who left me, but I've been in a stable, happy relationship with my best friend since 2002, married to him since 2008.

So when I say that I've had some low-biorhythmic episodes lately, I assure you it's all small stuff.

I'll talk about it anyway. Because that's how I roll.

I've just about resigned myself to not selling any beads. I took 10 days off from listing after a trunk show where I had a total of five sales, after I spent $20 for a sponsored ad on Facebook. I should know better. All my sales were to regular customers, so I can safely say the ad did nothing.

Then one of the customers who won two sets asked me to etch them. I've done this before for her but I wasn't planning to do any tumbling any time soon. I said no and she backed out of the sale. So, I did it after all, because $36.

An Etsy shopper asked me for a custom set of four beads, similar to one on one of my beaded keys that she found in my sold items. I gave her a price, she said go ahead, I made the beads. Came back to a message, please cancel this request.

My original sold beaded key.

I pretended that I didn't see that note. I wrote, I made your beads this morning and they came out really nicely. I'll send you a photo. I did send a photo and set up a reserved listing and I was surprised that she bought the beads. But then of course she got them and said they looked darker in real life. She had made one up into a suncatcher and she sent a photo.
Suncatcher with new custom order bead.

She didn't match the bead well, but she specifically asked for medium transparent blue and that is what I made for her.

Again, I didn't respond to the criticism. I said, Wow! Your dragonfly looks awesome! If we weren't moving this summer, I'd want to buy one.

Then she sent me a photo of another artist's bead and asked if I could make her some like it. I should have said no on principle. But any sale is welcome at the moment and it was a dot pattern I have made before myself. So I priced it and she decided to wait. Just as well. Some customers are hinky and best avoided, sale or no sale.

I contacted Beads of Courage last week about payment for the beads I sent in April. The coordinator was apologetic and promised I was first in line for payment. Nothing yet. I will give it another day or two and then send photos of the new 100 pairs and ask again. I know I will get paid and I'm not taking money out of my mouth by sending these beads off to BOC instead of listing them. If they were selling steadily it might be different.

I'm almost though washing and bundling all my glass. Two more days and the shelves will be bare. I still have all the glass on my bench, tools murrini, dichro and assorted oddments to pack or queue up for sale.

More from the low biorhythm archives, I'd received a $25 gift card to Pei-Wei, a place I don't especially care for. Neil likes it though, so we ordered dinner online for pickup. Neil took the card to pay and the card was declined.

Neil and I debated what to do. Neil wanted to let the giver know. I suspected the card was a regift and that for $25 it wasn't worth making the giver feel badly and worse, obligated to give another gift. I wanted to let it go. I finally said, ask Laurie what she would do. Laurie felt the same way I did, so we let it go.

At least the sushi rolls were delicious.

In other news, we had a nice visit with Kandace, Ry and Chris this weekend. My boy is 5 years old. We had some nice dinners, a fun visit to the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. And of course, birthday cake.





Lucky at love, well maybe so
There's still a lot of things you'll never know
Like why each time the sky begins to snow, you cry

You're faithful to her in your careless way
And so you miss her when she's far away
But every time you think you've got it straight, you fall

You face the future with a weary past
Those dreams you banked upon are fading fast
You know you love her, but it may not last, you fear

It's never easy and it's never clear
Who's to navigate and who's to steer
And so you flounder, drifting ever near the rocks

It's hard to say where love went wrong
It's hard to say just when (it's so hard to say)
It's hard to walk away from love
It may never come again

You do your best to keep your hand in play
And try to keep those lonesome blues at bay
You think you're winning but it's hard to say, sometimes

It's hard to say where love went wrong
It's hard to say just when (it's so hard to say)
It's hard to walk away from love
It may never come again

Lucky at love, well maybe so
There's still a lot of things you'll never know
Like why each time the sky begins to snow, you cry
Well, you cry
Oh, you still have to cry.


Dan Fogelberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz