Sunday, September 10, 2017

There and here

"Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating."

You can take the girl out of Texas.

But apparently it's a lot harder to keep the girl out of Texas.

This time it's Hurricane Irma running the circus.

Saturday was the day we were supposed to get back from North Carolina. Monday was the day we were supposed to peel out of here with three cats.

We actually came home a day early again, for many reasons, the primary reason being that there was more we needed to accomplish here than there.

There, we were camping in the house with a bed, two folding chairs and a coffeemaker.

Our new coffeemaker. Color: Oasis.
Here, we have cars to load and cleaning to do and odds and ends to donate and dispose of.

Plans keep changing.

You may remember that originally our furniture was supposed to leave Texas on August 28 and arrive in NC on or about Sept. 1. Hurricane Harvey hosed up that plan.

Next plan, our furniture was scheduled to leave on Sept. 11 and arrive on or about Sept. 15.

Our pods, which already are in storage there, are scheduled to be delivered on Sept. 13 and 14 and emptied by Sept. 15 and 16 Otherwise we incur another month of storage charges.

So, we were planning to leave with the cats as soon as the furniture pulled out on Monday and drive like the wind to be there in time to meet the pods and furniture.

Except our drive takes us right through Irma, no matter what route she takes. Dealing with flooded roads and detours with three cats is a no go, especially since we have to be there when the pods arrive on Wednesday, with no flexibility.

Time for another new plan. It looks like this. Neil flies to NC on Tuesday to receive the pods, unload them, and wait for the furniture- which is still supposed to leave on Sept. 11 but also has to make its way through Irma. Neil didn't bother booking a return flight yet.

In the meantime I stay here with three cats and minimal furniture, just the few last things that we are donating or dumping. No TV, no treadmill, obviously no torch, no glass, no beads, no books, no mail. I can't even have anything delivered because our change of address kicks in as of Monday.

All this is nothing compared to those facing storm threats and damage. Or to those still cleaning up the mess that Harvey left behind.

I've been conflicted about moving, OK, a big baby at times, but now I'm ready to have this move behind me. Not to mention getting this house listed and sold.

I have to say, it was nice in the new house. Even though the first night there I soaked my brand new pillow with tears because it wasn't home. I felt very far away from my kids and all the familiar things I have known and loved.

Even sleeping north-south in our new bed, rather than east-west felt disorienting. But I absolutely love our new mattress. I am in love with my bed.

Some things don't change.

But the weather was perfect and we sat in our folding chairs on our screened patio and watched the birds and butterflies. It was hard not to like it there.

I'm obviously obsessed with this color family.
In fact, on this last trip there, I almost got my head around the fact that home isn't here any more, home is there. I'm sure it will be a two-step forward one-step back process, but progress is progress even when measured in small increments.

My new bathtub was disappointing. It is deeper but much shorter than my bathtub here. The hot water came up right away at least, which is one of the nice things here.

The shower is beautiful and huge. I may start taking more showers again.

I'd still have put in the bathtub, even if I'd known how small it would be. Nothing to do about it now except to accept and adjust.

I'm working on that, in a larger sense. Striving to not worry about what I can't control. Counteracting anxiety with mindful gratitude. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but at least I'm trying.

Point. I miss glass. I think it will be a while before my studio is set up again. The end of September was wildly optimistic wishful thinking, hurricanes or no hurricanes.

Counterpoint. Maybe the break will be good for my creativity. Maybe beads will be selling better when and if I resume selling them.

For the present, it's one day at a time. Seven or eight of those days from now, with luck and no more storms, we'll try again to rock and roll out of Texas.

Goddess willing that Lee, Maria, and Nate don't raise any troublesome swirling bands and turn their ominous eyes in our direction.


New York, New York, is everything they say
And no place that I'd rather be
Where else can you do a half a million things
All at a quarter to three

When they play their music, oh that modern music
They like it with a lot of style
But it's still that same old back beat rhythm
That really, really drives 'em wild

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating

LA, Hollywood, and the Sunset Strip
Is something everyone should see
Neon lights and the pretty pretty girls
All dressed so scantily

When they play their music
That hard rock music
They like it with a lot of flash
But it's still that same old back beat rhythm
That really, really kicks 'em in the ...

DC, San Antone, and the Liberty Town, Boston, and Baton Rouge
Tulsa, Austin, Oklahoma City, Seattle, San Francisco too
Everywhere there's music, real live music, bands with a million styles
But it's still that some old rock and roll music
That really, really drives 'em wild

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating

In Cleveland
Detroit
Oh, heart of rock and roll.


(Huey Lewis, John Victor Colla)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I will post it as soon as I receive it. Liz